Each month, we donate the book that we read to a community organization that supports low-income families and children. Along with the book, we include all of the materials, ingredients, and instructions for a child (or two) to recreate the activities and snack of our book club meeting that month in their home with their parent or caregiver. The organization will choose a family each month to be our “book club pal” and receive our book and activities. We are very excited to be able to share the joy of parent-child reading, playing, and healthy snacking with other parents and toddlers in the area. If you wish to recreate a similar bag for yourself or to donate, here’s what’s in the bag this month:
Book: Leaves by David Ezra Stein
Activity: Leaf Collection and Crayon Rubbings
Supplies: Leaves (collected outside), white paper, crayons with paper removed
Directions: Collect leaves in a variety of colors and shapes that have fallen to the ground. Make a pile to play in if enough leaves have fallen at the place and time of this activity. Select a few collected leaves to place on a hard surface underneath a piece of white paper. Help your child rub the crayons over the leaves until the impression of the leaves appears. Repeat as desired by your child!
Snack: Kale Chip “Leaves”
Directions: (source: http://castirontherapy.blogspot.com/2012/06/kale-chips.html):
- One bunch kale, washed and well dried (provided)
- Non stick spray or olive oil
- Finely ground sea salt to taste
- Ground pepper and other spices to taste
- Tear kale into medium sized pieces, discarding the thick stems, and place in a large container.
- Spray with enough nonstick spray to coat every piece of kale and sprinkle on a little sea salt and extra seasoning if using.
- Mix well with hands to ensure even coating and seasoning.
- Place kale on a large dish lined with parchment paper in an even layer. You probably can only do a third of the bunch or less per batch.
- Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes.
Carefully remove kale chips from microwave, as the dish can get very hot. Pour into a serving bowl and repeat until all the kale has been turned into kale chips.